Jada Pinkett-Smith is aware of the critics that frown up their noses at the way she raises her daughter, Willow. Willow cuts, dyes and styles her hair as she pleases, a fact that bothers many who feel girls shouldn’t have that much control over their appearance at such a young age.
Jada decided to address the criticism in a Facebook post:
“A letter to a friend…This subject is old but I have never answered it in its entirety. And even with this post it will remain incomplete. The question why I would LET Willow cut her hair. First the LET must be challenged. This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don’t belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are HER domain. Willow cut her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair. It’s also a statement that claims that even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother’s deepest insecurities, hopes and desires. Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be.”
I’m pretty sure I’ve reblogged this before but seriously this is something we should be teaching all our children. Their bodies are theirs, not ours as parents. As soon as you tell someone their body doesn’t belong to theirs you take away so much from them.
#walk into the club like what up where’s our soviet boyfriend
How public transportation can reduce congestion
i really wanted to write something eloquent here but i’ll settle for “fuck cars”
My faith in pizza guys has gone up 123%
NO LET ME TELL YOU A STORY
So a few weeks ago I was in a hotel in Savannah with my grampa in the hospital next door, Mom was over staying with him, and the battery in the smoke detector went out so every 5 minutes it would let off this loud, high pitched ‘CHIRP’.
It was annoying as fuck, so I called the front desk to see if they had a battery for it, and they said the only thing they could do was change rooms. We’d already settled in for the night, and needed the next door rooms for my uncles the next day, so I said I’d deal. My uncles had my car in the next town over, so I couldn’t drive and get one myself.
An hour later, I’m ordering pizza and have gone insane because the damn thing CHIRPS. SO. MUCH.
So I begged the pizza guy on the phone to stop and get me a battery, told him I’d pay for the battery, and give him an extra tip for it, and he was chill with it. This adorable fucker gets to my room with the battery, opens it, asks to see the smoke detector, CLIMBS ON THE BED, CHANGES THE BATTERY FOR ME, and tests it.
My pizza was only 20 dollars, but I gave him 40 and told him to keep the change.
I’m so done with this planet
she saved two lives and all they care about is her nipple.
this is sexism, my friends.
This is just fucking ridiculous! I’m sure the last thing she gave a shit about was her nipple coming out while she was SAVING HER CHILD AND THEIR NANNY!
Gotta love he fact that the story is about the nip slip and not the rescue. The rescue is just an afterthought.
For all y’all going off to some fancy schmancy university or something:
- if you consider yourself to be even remotely human don’t take a single class before 10am
- especially not labs, or a math class
- every teacher thinks their subject is tighter shit than Joan Rivers face. Use that to your advantage.
- on a normal day you might encounter a mariachi band, monks, religious freaks, tibetan throat singers, and white boys playing ultimate frisbee
- guys with longboards
- DONT MISS A SINGLE CLASS UNLESS YOU REALLY FUCKING KNOW YOUR SHIT esp if it’s a small class
- use rate my professor to ALWAYS pick a professor that doesn’t make you want to bash your head in. ie a good one that explains stuff and wouldn’t lose to a goldfish in a most interesting competition.
- meet with your counselor regularly even if just to talk about the annoying kid that constantly taps his pencil and won’t shut up in class
- sit in the first few rows. trust me on this you giant fucking nerd.
- the fun stuff will always happen when you least need it. Skip it and study instead like the loser you are
- trust. me. on. this. shit. you. will. regret. it. i. speak. from. experience.
I am so not ready to see this…
I AM NOT READY